Tip #37, Top 10 Favorite products I keep in the fridge/ pantry
Ok, after yesterday’s suggestion to rent, DVD, “Supersize Me”, you’re probably wondering, what do I eat on the run? Here are a few products I always keep around to help me make healthy choices. I realize that some of you who live in Canada, UK and other parts of the States may not have the stores I recommend, however, I feel confident that you can find the following products close to where you liveJ
- Protein with Pizazz (found in the dairy section at Trader Joe’s, it is a blend of 5 fruit juices w/ whey and soy protein. Only 4G. of fat, 32G carbs, and 20G of protein, all for $1.99!. Great after a workout!)
- Emer-gen-C (These are packets packed with tons of Vitamin C and amino acids. They come in different flavors with add’l choices of MSM, Glucosamine, and Chondrotin. I empty one of these packets each AM upon awakening. You can find this at Trader Joe’s or Health food stores).
- Organic Multi Grain Hot Cereal (Trader Joe’s for $1.99) this has oats, rye, bran and is an excellent choice for a fast breakfast. (2 min. in the microwave). I top my bowl with fresh blueberries. Yum!
- Quick Egg Whites (found in the dairy section in a carton). Excellent to mix with an egg, scrambled when you want extra protein without the fat.
- Whole Rye Rounds. I just found this yesterday at Whole foods market. They are wheat free, and the perfect size for poached eggs. (Suggestion: Buy a microwave poacher for eggs, and it will take just 2 min. for poached eggs without fat!)
- Organic Roasted Turkey Breast. You can find this at Trader Joe’s as well. This is a great source of protein for when you are on the run. Along with some lettuce and sliced avocado in a wrap/ roll-up, it is the perfect lunch for on the run.
- Cranberry Mustard. If you are watching your carb intake, spread some of this on a few slices of roasted turkey and roll up! It is fat free and a great snack for the afternoon when you are starting to feel hungry after lunch.
- California Veggie Burgers. (Trader Joe’s) I always keep a few packages in the freezer. Made with oat bran, you can pop a few in the toaster oven, as soon a s you come in after a long day. Ready in minutes, they have 4G fat, 9 G of carbs and 5G of protein in each burger, I LOVE these!
- Organic Chicken Broth. It comes in a 32oz. carton and now they make convenient 8 oz. sizes in a pack of 3. Stir fry veggies in broth and cut out fat! I always have several large and small cartons on hand.
- Olive Oil Spray. What can I say? I am never without it! I can’t tell you when the last time I sautéed something in butter!
- Kettle Cuisine Soups (Whole Foods market). These are 10oz. GREAT choices for a meal on the run. Pop in the microwave for 2 min. and Voila! They are low I fat and no preservatives.
OK, so there are 11. I got carried away! Of course, each Sunday, I make a soup for the week, (tomorrow’s tip), and cut up celery and carrots for grabbing a snack on the run. Keep some almonds in a baggy in your car in case you’re stuck on the road longer than expect. It will keep your appetite in check and making good food choices.